Food is obviously one if not the most important element of human life. As the ages go by, human food has become less of a means to an end and more of an art. Yes, there are those people who now live to eat. This shows how big a role food plays in the human life. This is why it comes of no surprise that there are songs written about them. These are not just folk and children songs either, they are songs used by popular musicians and featured in popular and mainstream media. In fact, many of these songs have been established as pop culture monuments. Here are a few of the most popular songs about food that the people has tracked down and popularized:
- Eat it by Weird Al Yankovic- When thinking of songs about food, it really is hard not to remember Weird Al’s parody version of Michael Jackson’s hit song “Beat it”. The song seems to have everything it needs to be a very popular and well-liked song about different kinds of food. It has both great beat and musical style that is trademark of the legendary Michael Jackson added with the great humorous barrage of lyrical parody of Weird Al. Though there are also a lot of other songs about food out there, none of them seem to awaken the need for a trip to the fridge like this song.
- Chicken Noodle Soup by Webstar-A little bit different from Weird Al’s tasty parody, Chicken Noodle Soup is a hiphop song about food. It has little to do with the actual chicken noodle soup and more to do with a dance. This upbeat song cannot make you have the sudden urge to find the best food processors in your kitchen and start making your very own noodle for your soup but it does have a very catchy beat and not to mention those sweet dance moves.
- Vegetables by Beach Boys- Before the arrival of modern pop boy bands, the Beach Boys were the boy band you could really listen to and relax without thinking too much about the meaning behind their songs. With songs like fun fun fun and something about surfing, it wasn’t long before they made a song about every child’s least favorite type of food: vegetables. This is one of those short songs that typically lasts for about two minutes and stays in your head for at least two days. If they’re going to sing about food, why don’t they sing of things children love like cakes? Speaking of which…
- Birthday Cake by Rihanna- Finally, a song about a kind of food that everybody loves! A little warning though, this song is not as child-friendly as an actual birthday cake. Listening to it would certainly encourage mixed feelings between having the need to eat cake or getting some action. Though this song may not be very applicable for birthday parties, it sure deserves a spot in a list of songs about food that are quite popular.
- Lollipop by Lil Wayne- Another not so wholesome song based on a food is Lil Wayne’s Lollipop. Obviously, this song is not actually marketed for all the children out there that love the sweet innocent confection that is the lollipop. It is in fact, another hiphop song derived from a not-so subtle innuendo. This though, did not stop it from being very popular among fans of the genre and of Lil Wayne.
- Milkshake by Kelis- In a list of songs about food, who would ever, in their right mind, forget about Milkshake by Kelis? It is like the national anthem of popular songs based on food. Though obviously, this song is not actually about milkshakes, it is still very catchy and has actually been very popular that if there ever was a survey about songs based on food, the list would have this song and its catchy beats at the top.
Food is an essential element in the life of humans. Though these days they are used more than just for eating, some use them as inspirations for songs.